Saturday, March 16, 2013

Life of a 2.5 year old

I wish I could remember what it was like to be two. No cares in the world, getting to play all day,and having someone to do things for you. What can I say, Kelbie has the easy life. Even though she wakes up early every morning, she still takes an awesome nap and goes to bed at a normal time. As she watches her new favorite show ( I personally can't stand) Dora before heading to bed I thought I would document all her accomplishments and things she likes to do so when she has her own child and wonders if she was the same, she can look back on this and compare.

I have to say that my kid is pretty cute ( says every parent ) but she is at that age where listening is not her best skill. I swear I repeat  myself a million times a day. She does great at school, so maybe its just me. Since this issue has come about, we have decided its time to implement time outs. I wasn't sure when the right age was to start that, but it seems this age works. We have designated a corner where she sits for two minutes and then we explain to her why she was there. Needless to say she doesn't like it, but it seems to get the point across.

Her vocabulary has all of a sudden come together. Pretty much forming sentences. It's still hard for most to understand her, but I get 90% of what she says. It's also very cute to hear her pronounce the harder words like Popsicle. I was concerned that she wasn't putting words together like other kids her age. I knew it would come and I just thought it was because of her ear, so when she starting having conversations with me I was very happy. I'm not sure how many words she should have at this age but I would guess she has at least 100.

She is loving school and I am loving that she is learning and making new friends. I am excited for her next year when there will be more kids in her class, which I am also hoping will be a slight distraction from the new baby being here. She gets to go to chapel everyday, do some sort of art project, read new stories, and most days go to music class, which I think might be her favorite. She is always singing songs, but I can't seem to make out any of the words.

As she is about to become a BIG Sister I can tell she isn't completely sure what is going on. She gets upset when I can't carry her as much as I used too and I can't play certain games we used to play together. I bought her books and we ask her about it but she always says NO if asked about having a baby brother. Some of it could be the age. I know she will be a great big sister once brother gets her, I just really hope my mommies girl doesn't start to hate me when I can't give her 100% of my attention.

I might also add that she has no interest in potty training. We have had potties and underwear for about a year and still nothing. Now I am not totally forcing the issues so that could be some of it. About a month ago I bought her a princess potty seat that goes on the big potty in hopes that it might spark something. Nothing. Now she does like to sit on the potty, wipe and flush but nothing ever seems to come out. I am tempted to take the 3 day challenge over Easter weekend and see if we can get anywhere. My goal is to have her almost trained before baby gets here. That leaves me all of June and a week or two in July if my Easter weekend doesn't happen as planned.
I will end this post with some of her favorite things and things to do:
Princesses (Belle), playing outside, Minnie, riding her scooter, dressing up, crowns, picking out her own clothes, Word World, pillow fights with daddy, spinning, sliding, swinging, Popsicles, fruit, playing doctor, and showing us how she can be a big girl.

I am positive there are more, but I'm tired and my brain is about ready for bed. Until my next update on my spunky, crazy, loving 2 year old.

No comments: