Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Trip to the ER

Well Kelbie had her first trip to the emergency room Tuesday night. We went to her One Year appointment that afternoon and everything was good. She got all her shots and we came home. She was given Tylenol before her shots and I gave her some Motrin before bed.  Well at 9pm she woke up screaming, when I went to get her she was shivering and a little warm. I took into my room and thought that she would fall back asleep with me. Well that didn't happen. I kept checking her temp and it just kept getting higher and higher. At about10:30pm it was up to 103.8, time to go to the er. Kelbie has never had a temp that high from shots. At max it has been like 102.5. So we headed to St. Michael's which I now know from her Pedi that is not the place to take babies. She recommends St. Luke's or the little Nighttime Pediatric place by Babies R Us. Anyways so we get to the er and they do all their stuff. Basically 2 hours later we are heading home, with the assumption that it is just from her shorts. To be honest that is what I thought it was but I also wasn't completely happy with that answer since her temp was so high. I ended up calling her Pedi Wednesday morning and told them what had happened so of course she wanted to see her. I left work early and took her up there. She also checked her out and they did a urine sample which looked good and just told me to keep her on Motrin and I could alternate Tylenol if needed.  She was going to talk to a neurologist about the shots and see if Kelbie is one of the few that has weird effects from certain shots and she should call me by the end of the week.

Her fever broke last night and I was super excited. I had already planned to stay home today just because the doctor wants us to monitor her fever closely. She woke up crying again this morning and when I took her temp it was back up. Only 102.6 this time but still high. Hoping that it will break by the afternoon and I wont have to be to concerned about it anymore. I am just glad that it was nothing serious and just caused by her shots. Lesson learned that Kelbie can not take that many shots at one time. She had a total of 5 on Tuesday.

No comments: