Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tongue Clipping

We well mostly I decided it was finally time to get Kelbie's tongue clipped. She has been tongue tight since birth and I was to nervous to get them to do it when she was that little. So now that she is older and starting to talk I have noticed that she doesn't pronounce much, which I thought was caused by her tongue so yesterday she had her tongue clipped.

James couldn't go with me so I took my mom along. Her surgery was scheduled for 7:30am which meant we had to be downtown at TCH by 6am. Talk about super early and Kelbie wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight. I was totally thinking that this was going to be a disaster and she was going to have a total meltdown from being hungry and up so early. She did great though. She didn't seem tired or hungry while we were there. She played with all the toys, looked at all the people and didn't seem to notice what was going on until right before they took her back to get her ready.

Once they called us back it didn't take long at all. The gave her some very "sexy" hospital pajamas to wear, I talked to the doctors and nurses and then they took her back. I don't think she cried when they took her back but I gave her kisses and once they took her I walked back to the waiting room as I didn't want her to see me and I didn't want to hear her cry.

The surgery didn't take long at all in fact we had just gone back the waiting room to eat when a doctor came in looking for us. Basically Kelbie's doctor had an emergency so she wasn't able to do the procedure and this doctor was already there waiting on her patient so she went ahead and did it for us. She was very nice and told us that everything went smooth and a nurse should be coming to get us soon as she was heading to recovery. We decided to wait outside in the hall because it was cooler and I guess long story short we missed the nurse who came to get us. They called my cell phone to ask where I was and that they had been looking for me as Kelbie was already in recovery awake and looking for me.

She was doing great when I got back there. She had already had a few bottles of apple juice or whatever they gave her and was basically ready to go home. We were only there about a total of 3 hours. She was a trooper. She was a little upset at first but calmed down once we were driving. She held up pretty well most of the morning. We came home and she ate breakfast like she had never seen food before and then tolerated some errands and by noon she was done. We headed back home and she slept for a good 3 hours until I woke her up so she would sleep at night. Overall I am very happy with the surgery and hoping she will be able to talk better now that she can move her tongue.

She is still a little unsure what that thing in her mouth is now that it moves more but she will get used to it in a few days. Here are a few pictures I snapped while we were there.  They next time she will have to be there for surgery is in about 3 years when they do her ear.

Reading her book while waiting to be called back

She didn't like the bracelet on her leg or the stylish pajamas

Finally figuring out what was going on, but she was somewhat content in the rocking chair

No comments: