Thursday, January 19, 2012

3 Days

So the past few days have been rough for poor Kelbie. It all started Monday afternoon. She was fine all morning and then when she woke up from her morning nap she had a cough and a fever of 101. I gave her some Tylenol and didn't think anything of it. She didn't really eat dinner that night which I chalk up to the fact that she didn't get an afternoon nap and she was ready for bed. At around 12:30am she woke up crying and she never does that. I went to check on her and she was burning up. Her fever was almost 105. I was a little worried at that point and didn't want to end back up in the ER so I gave her another dose of Tylenol and decided to wait it out an hour before doing anything. 45 minutes later she was still burning up and vomited all over her, me and the bed. I was on the phone with her doctor right after that. The nurse practitioner was who I spoke with and she told me to give her another dose of medicine (Motrin this time) and to bring her in in the morning. 

Tuesday morning they were able to get us in first thing which was nice because I planned to go into work in the afternoon, needless to say that didn't happen. They tested her for RSV and the Flu which were both negative. She checked her out and she seemed good except that her throat was a little irritated and her nose was a little gunky. She put her on antibiotics and said to watch her and that once she get the antibiotics in her system she would start to feel better. Well she didn't really want to eat anything all day and I was able to get her to drink some. After her afternoon nap she was miserable. She just sat on the floor and cried. Nothing was making her happy or comfortable. I called her doctor again and was basically told to keep her hydrated and keep doing Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours to keep her fever down. Surprisingly enough she did sleep through the night which was great.

Wednesday morning we are still running a fever of 103.5. Still not eating or really wanting to do anything. Plus her cough now sounded horrible. Like a really bad dog bark.  There I was back on the phone with the doctors office. I told them that I really thought we needed to get blood work done to see if it was something else causing her to be sick. They agreed and we headed to Methodist Hospital for blood work and a chest xray. Day 2 of me not going to work. After about an hour at the hospital we were done and headed to her doctors to wait for the results. Good news nothing on the xray to be concerned about and the first round of blood work came back pretty normal. Her white cells counts weren't abnormal so that means it is most likely some kind of virus infection that has to work its way out. They decided to give her a steroid shot which would help swelling of her throat and hopefully get her back to normal asap. I was also told that the cough could be Croup. That was something new that I hadn't really heard.  Finally by about 4:30pm that afternoon she was looking a lot better. Her fever was finally below 100 and she seemed more into playing.

So here we are 3 days later and we seem to be fever free. She was very active this morning before I left for work but she seems to still not be interested in food. I am going to try and get her to eat something when I get home in hopes that she will get her appetite back. I know she has been drinking so that is a plus. I am still unsure what it was that she really had but it was the worst she has been ever. James stayed home with her today and my mom is going to watch her tomorrow just to be safe. When she gets hungry enough she will eat and I am hoping she will be completely recovered by the weekend.

Needless to say it has been a rough couple of days for my poor little one. I really hope she doesn't get this sick again. It is miserable to see her so uncomfortable and knowing that everything I try to do to make her feel better doesnt' seem to help. I am glad we are finally on the track to good health again. I did really enjoy spending the days with her even though she wasn't herself.

No comments: