Thursday, January 5, 2012

What is in a Name?

I love Kelbie's name and I couldn't see her being named anything else. When James and I talked about names (more so for girls), we decided that we want their names to be different. Not so different as that they couldn't be pronounced or spelled but we didn't want 6 other kids to have the same name. I am very happy to say that I have yet to meet anyone with that name yet. Her name is also family related as we combined my mom and his mom's names together, how often can you do that and have a cool sounding name? What does frustrate me ( I also knew this when I picked her name) is that I can't just go into a store and find something with her name on it. Example... place mats, cups, magnets, etc. The reason for this vent on loving her different name is that I bought her a Violet dog months ago and was never able to get her name programed into it because it wasn't on their list of names. So today I decided to send them an email asking if it was possible to get her name added to the list. I got a nice email back saying that at this time they were not adding any new names and that I should browse their list of names and find something that sounds similar or use a nickname. If I really wanted to use a nickname don't you think I would have done that before? Just a little frustrated with Leap Frog. I am very glad that she has an easy name and that hopefully not to many people if any will have her name. Now only if people could spell it right that would be great. I guess a "Y" seems to be the easy way of spelling, but if you know me I like to be different. I am sure this will continue to be a problem all her life with the spelling.... Maybe our next child will be lucky to have a not so unique name and normal spelling. I wouldn't count on it though.

3 comments:

Work said...

I understand! I the violet dog I found one that sounds close to Neela's name (it says NYL ah) it sucks we laugh every time. Kyra is a semi used a name still not normal we get a lot of KY RAH that fustrated me, Adelyn always get Adeline which is not right, so to be different pur kids will always have problems. I did get a personalized music cd for Neela by request to add her name into the list. So I totally

Unknown said...

My mom got her a personalize cd for Christmas which I thought was really cool. Her name isn't that unique so it surprises me that its so hard to find. It was like number 7150 on last years list but to me its not that unusual.

Katie said...

To be honest. I was really surprised Violet had the correct pronunciation for Kali so trust me when I say I understand your frustration because that dog is literally the only thing out there that I can get customized for her.